Skip to main content

Even Me {Part 2}

PC: The Storyteller Co./Morgan Harper Nichols

I didn't anticipate writing another post so soon but I have been *positively* overwhelmed by the response to God Speaking {Even Me}! I feel like I owed you all somewhat of an explanation as well as some updates 😊.

Generally Speaking: I've realized that because I haven't spoken on certain situations that I've experienced or dealt with, some people assume that those things aren't issues for me. (Not true😐.) I want to be honest and transparent so that people understand--> we ALL go through the same types of things. And if my lessons can be blessings for you, so be it. Whenever you read my writing, my prayer is that you feel like I'm a friend, cousin, sister, or just a nice person who simply wants to encourage & inspire you. 

Before the Post: I was feeling "some type of way"- for real. . . It caught me off-guard because during the weekend, I felt good! I had posted It Keeps Happening by Kierra Sheard on Facebook because I had this urge to just start believing God for things. Turn to your neighbor and say. . . "Plot twist!" In a matter of days, I was dealing with a wave of emotions.

I've told people. . . Since moving to Texas, I feel like I've been tested A LOT in the area of dating/relationships. (In case you're new to the blog/my story, I moved from Maryland to Texas on 1/1/19 in a literal leap of faith. You can read more about that here or here.) So after my "It Keeps Happening" inspiration, I randomly became interested in a guy and then quickly found out that I needed to lose that interest. I was in my feelings😔. At the same time, I had been questioning whether or not I was even ready to entertain a relationship but that's a totally different conversation for another time😇. Anyway. . . I was frustrated and discouraged because I felt like, "I'm just out here- trying to live right and be holy" (lol but seriously) and then this distraction popped up and threw me out of wack. 

As discouraged as I was, I ultimately was at peace because time and time again, when I've been faced with a moral dilemma per se and I've decided to take the right path (aka obey God) vs. following my own desires or interests, God has a way of showing me that He sees/hears me.

As I wrote God Speaking {Even Me}, I told people that I was looking for God to do something- just because He already had a credible record. Don't get me wrong! My mindset wasn't, "Let me do what {I think} God wants just so I can get Him to 'be nice' to me. . ." but rather, "Because I love God and want to honor Him with my life, I'm going to make the right decision. However, He has proven, time and time again, that my faithfulness will be recognized by Him."

After the Post: I was simply grateful to see how God used the post to bless others- especially since I had been hesitant to write it! As time went on, a dear friend reached out to me and asked if my CashApp info was still good. I told her that it was [but started wondering why she was asking]. Her next message read, "Okay. Check it."

Y'all. . . I was floored! She sent me an unexpected gift and I immediately called her! "Girl! You won't believe this. . . This week has been a mess and I've been saying that I was waiting for God to do something for me. . . I think this is it!" She told me that she had been blessed and wanted to be a blessing to others. I was speechless!

The situation reminded me of the truth in 1 Samuel 15:22- ". . . obedience is better than sacrifice."


If you need more examples, keep reading:

  • January 2019- After meeting a guy, having great conversations, and a nice dinner, I ended up having to have the "No Sex Before Marriage" conversation. Trust me- if it wasn't necessary, I wouldn't have brought it up. When I tell you, this man tried to find any possible loophole. . . he was on a mission! So, I decided that we needed to part ways because we were on totally different pages (if we were even in the same book). That conversation took place on a Saturday afternoon. I was disappointed but I remember waking up the next morning and thinking about Psalm 84:11--> "No good thing will He withhold from thee that walk uprightly." Two days after the conversation, I received the phone call from my friend- inviting me to stay with and work for her for 2 months (rent-free)!
  • August 2019- I had been at my part-time job for a few months and it became apparent that one of my coworkers was very interested in me. However, he couldn't seem to decide whether he was single or married😒. EVERYBODY at our job knew how he felt about me and I kept declining his offers for dates, etc. Now, there were some times where I wasn't as firm as I could (or should have been) so I think this made him hold out hope that he had a chance. One Friday in August, I decided that I'd had enough so I wrote a speech (I had to translate it for him) making it abundantly clear that I was never going to be his muñeca, corazón, etc. In other words, I wasn't about to be his girlfriend, sweetheart, beauty, and so forth. He didn't talk to me for the remainder of our shift & everyone was shocked. When I got back home, I got a phone call with an offer for the job that I currently have (and never filled out an application for). Just an hour or so later, I found out that my father and brother had driven from Maryland to Texas so that I could have a car down here and stop racking up my credit card with Uber charges!
I know that when I simply operate in obedience to God, He has a way of blowing my mind.

In April, I felt led to send a gift to a specific person. I was reluctant for a split-second but prayed that all would be well. To receive the person's messages of gratitude truly touched my heart. Fast forward to 2 months later and the gift that I sent in obedience to God was multiplied and given back to me!

So yeah. . . You can call it a coincidence but this is what I mean by God has constantly reminded me that He has my back. While I may face situations that test my integrity or character, He lets me know that I am not alone. I want to remind you of that fact as well. The most repeated statement I heard after people read the last post was, "I feel like this too! I thought it was just me!" We are all in this- together & God is for us!

Other updates: In God Speaking, I mentioned that I sometimes struggle with doing nice things for myself [like getting a bed]. In January of 2019, I bought a double-high air mattress with a built-in pump. That thing was so firm that it felt like a real bed! However, it became defective in July or August. My roommate was gracious enough to let me borrow a mattress pad that she had and I used that up until April. Originally, a new bed wasn't in my budget but even when I could afford it, I found it difficult to justify spending so much money on myself. I'm so glad I got over that & decided to get the bed instead😂. (The "Before" pic is from the foyer not my bedroom lol).


There will definitely be times in our lives that things aren't exactly the way we'd prefer. Rather than dwelling on the things I wish I could change, I decided to start highlighting the positive events. A couple months ago, I started surrounding my vision board with notecards so I can remember blessings that I've received from other people, ways that I've been kind to myself, or just happy memories. Being able to add a new card from time to time really has been encouraging.


Okay- this post has gotten way longer than I anticipated but I hope it's answered questions and maybe even sparked gratitude in your heart and mind.

I love y'all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unexpected Temptation

I know. . . It's been time for me to write something new.🙈 However, coming across this video from Jackie Hill Perry to prompted me to actually get this post out. One line pierced my heart. "When you have a gift that involves words, one of the ways the enemy will tempt you is to be silent." Wow!  I hone stly think silence is one of the last things that comes to mind when people think of temptation. According to Oxford Languages, the definition of temptation is  the desire to do something, especially something wrong or unwise. I can hear someone asking, "How can silence be wrong or unwise?"  Oh. . . Hold on for just a minute and it will come together. There are times when our obedience [to speak] may be the key to someone else's blessing . Your words and actions could essentially provide healing for your brother or sister in Christ! In the book of Revelation, we read, "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony..

Let It Go {One Year of Freedom}

"...let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us." - Hebrews 12:1 (KJV)  **If you don't get anything else out of this post, I pray that you realize. . . you really can do all things through Christ - especially when your desire is to please Him! He will strengthen you to walk uprightly before Him.** ---------- Believe me when I say. . . Knowing what you need to do is very  different from actually doing it. Sometimes it is difficult to do what we know is right. That's where I found myself, in November and December of 2022. Let me take you back. . . As a single woman (just in case anybody needs clarification 😉), I was opening myself up to meeting guys and getting to know them when I crossed paths with  Royal . Initially, we seemed to have quite a few things in common: faith, a desire to serve our communities, a strong love for our families, and. . . a way with words. (*insert face

Hydrangea Revelations

 A few months ago, I brought home a hydrangea bush. Now. . . don't be deceived or confused. I do NOT claim to have a green thumb.🤣 However, I'm proud to say that I've managed not to completely kill the entire thing. This plant has honestly brought a couple of lessons or revelations to the forefront of my mind. . . A good while ago, I completely fell off of any sort of watering schedule. One night, I walked into my living room and every leap was drooping. The plant just looked sad! My immediate thought was to throw the whole thing away. Instead, I thought again. . . I decided to water it & see what would happen in the morning. The next day, I walked out and it looked new!  Everything was upright!  Job 14:7-9 came to mind. . . "At least there is hope for a tree: If it is cut down, it will sprout again, and its new shoots will not fail. Its roots may grow old in the ground and its stump die in the soil, yet at the scent of water, it will bud and put forth shoots lik