Skip to main content

Christmas Break Cheers



Sometimes. . . our best days are unexpected/unplanned.

That's what I was reminded of as I wrapped up my Christmas Break in Maryland. After almost an entire year in Texas, I finally was able to make my way back and spend some time with loved ones. (I'd seen my immediate family- multiple times since moving though😉.)

Anyway. . . during my last day in Maryland, I had a few non-negotiable errands to run and stops to make but I decided to be somewhat spontaneous as well. After visiting a member of my family's church and then surprising 2 of my dear friends, I headed to my favorite location in Chestertown- the dock at the end of High Street.

Most people know that that has been my relaxing/regrouping spot (for years). The water is calming to me so there have been many times that I would drive down there- just to sit and think. Although January 3, 2020 was gloomy, I still decided to head down and check it out. As I parked, I noticed a young woman. And as I walked closer to the water, I was pleasantly surprised to see that she was one of my former classmates. She was with her young son who was focused on covering as much ground as possible while riding his scooter. I cracked up as he spared just enough time to meet "Mommy's friend." She and I caught up for a few minutes before the two of them headed down the street.

After a while, I left too. I started driving and said to myself, "I can't come all the way into town and NOT go to one of my other favorite places!" So, I quickly parked again and walked into Evergrain Bread Company😁. If you only knew how many times my father made me stop there- after church or work😩. He loves Stun Buns while my go-to item is the Sun Bun. The Buzz Bars have become another favorite treat of mine too.

The establishment itself holds great memories for me. From trips with my dad or siblings to one last outing with a close friend before I moved to Texas. . . I'm always happy to find myself there. This particular day was no different. 

As I walked inside, I realized that my friend and her son were also present. After they collected their order, my friend spoke to a woman who was typing away at a table near where we were standing. I glanced over and realized that I recognized her too!

A couple of years ago, I was working part-time at a local grocery store. While it might not have been my favorite way to pass time, I had the opportunity to meet people with whom I might not have otherwise interacted & reconnect with people from my younger years. After a few weeks/months of working in the store, I quickly had my own "regulars." They would make an effort to come to my register if they noticed that I was working and we always had great conversations.💜

The woman at the table was one of those people. I apologized for interrupting her but told her that I had to say hello. She was genuinely happy yet shocked to see me because she knew that I had moved to Texas. As we caught up, I laughed when she asked, "Who is your father?" When I told her his name, she said she knew there had to be a connection because she saw me on his social media page🙈.

The thing to keep in mind is that my area in Maryland is super small--> the smallest county in the state with only 1 public high school. When both of your parents are educators and your father is a pastor. . . people tend to know (of) you. While the concept of having any personal business may be an interesting maze to navigate, I truly have come to appreciate the fact that Chestertown/Kent County can be very close-knit. 

[Before we parted ways, my super sweet former customer and I exchanged contact information to make sure we could stay in touch. Soon after I arrived back in Maryland, we emailed each other and she offered encouraging words about my writing. I sort of promised her that I would write this post as well.😏]

Although I hardly left my parents' home while I was in Maryland, it really was nice to see people who (already) knew me and didn't need me to prove anything to them. . . relieving even. They were sincerely happy to have me around & that meant so much! Whether I was running into neighbors in the grocery store, bumping into School Board members who have known me since I was in elementary school, meeting up with close friends, or just checking the mail, I was grateful to deal with people who weren't sizing me up but rather showering me with love.

This unexpected day reminded me of the classic theme song. . .


"Sometimes you want to go
Where everybody knows your name
And they're always glad you came
You want to be where you can see
The troubles are all the same
You want to be where everybody knows your name"
(Cheers Theme Song)

If you have those people, embrace and cherish them.

CHEERS to 2020!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unexpected Temptation

I know. . . It's been time for me to write something new.🙈 However, coming across this video from Jackie Hill Perry to prompted me to actually get this post out. One line pierced my heart. "When you have a gift that involves words, one of the ways the enemy will tempt you is to be silent." Wow!  I hone stly think silence is one of the last things that comes to mind when people think of temptation. According to Oxford Languages, the definition of temptation is  the desire to do something, especially something wrong or unwise. I can hear someone asking, "How can silence be wrong or unwise?"  Oh. . . Hold on for just a minute and it will come together. There are times when our obedience [to speak] may be the key to someone else's blessing . Your words and actions could essentially provide healing for your brother or sister in Christ! In the book of Revelation, we read, "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony..

Let It Go {One Year of Freedom}

"...let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us." - Hebrews 12:1 (KJV)  **If you don't get anything else out of this post, I pray that you realize. . . you really can do all things through Christ - especially when your desire is to please Him! He will strengthen you to walk uprightly before Him.** ---------- Believe me when I say. . . Knowing what you need to do is very  different from actually doing it. Sometimes it is difficult to do what we know is right. That's where I found myself, in November and December of 2022. Let me take you back. . . As a single woman (just in case anybody needs clarification 😉), I was opening myself up to meeting guys and getting to know them when I crossed paths with  Royal . Initially, we seemed to have quite a few things in common: faith, a desire to serve our communities, a strong love for our families, and. . . a way with words. (*insert face

Hydrangea Revelations

 A few months ago, I brought home a hydrangea bush. Now. . . don't be deceived or confused. I do NOT claim to have a green thumb.🤣 However, I'm proud to say that I've managed not to completely kill the entire thing. This plant has honestly brought a couple of lessons or revelations to the forefront of my mind. . . A good while ago, I completely fell off of any sort of watering schedule. One night, I walked into my living room and every leap was drooping. The plant just looked sad! My immediate thought was to throw the whole thing away. Instead, I thought again. . . I decided to water it & see what would happen in the morning. The next day, I walked out and it looked new!  Everything was upright!  Job 14:7-9 came to mind. . . "At least there is hope for a tree: If it is cut down, it will sprout again, and its new shoots will not fail. Its roots may grow old in the ground and its stump die in the soil, yet at the scent of water, it will bud and put forth shoots lik