Skip to main content

Lessons from Strangers (Part 1) . . . You're Beautiful!


Meeting him was like a breath of fresh air.

I hadn't dealt with many guys like him. Most of the time, dudes act like all we (females) wanna hear is, "Hey ma. . . (hey sexy, or what up shorty)" but he simply said, "Hello." He was warm and hilarious- willing to embarrass himself in the grocery store just so he could keep talking to me. Before we went our separate ways, he'd asked me out.

Talking to him was easy! If there's one thing that girls love, it's being able to have a great conversation with a guy. He amazed me with his knowledge of statistics and a desire to analyze almost everything. He was easygoing and fun to be around. He really wanted to know about ME- who I was, what I'd studied in college and what interested me. . .

And he didn't mind giving out compliments ;-).

Our meal together was bittersweet.  Like I said, talking to him was easy. Hours passed during our conversations on the phone and in person. We kept each other laughing and both like[d] to ask questions.

We gave quick and honest answers. . . After a while, we realized that a relationship wouldn't work with us but he was still a gentleman. He let me know that he believed I was a beautiful and classy woman- deserving of a nice afternoon with no strings attached. "I'm not expecting anything from you. You don't owe me. . . I'm paying for this and I just want you to have a good time."

Who does that?! :-)

I don't feel like my time was wasted because I really learned a lot. I was encouraged by our meeting- our interaction.

Here are some of the things that he taught/reminded me. . .

1) Sometimes less really is more. Days before meeting him, I was talking to my god-sister about trying to figure out what guys were looking for. She was saying that while many females are ready to shell out hundreds of dollars on hair weave and makeup, a lot of guys are drawn to the girls who go the more natural route. He reinforced that. One of the reasons that he told me he thought I was beautiful was because I "had a natural look" and "nothing seemed fake" about me. Hmm. . .

2) Insecurities are real but we don't have to feed them. 
Insecurity- n. Uncertainty or anxiety about oneself; Lack of confidence
We waste so much time worrying about things that we're afraid people will think of or notice about us. We should focus more on being our authentic selves. The people who deserve your time and energy will see and appreciate you for just being YOU! *I have a birthmark under my right eye and I've had a gap since I was in elementary school. I think about these things all of the time but to him, I was simply gorgeous- inside and out.*

3) We teach guys how to treat us! This may sound like common sense but my father loves to say, "If sense were so common everyone would have (and use) it!" Ladies. . . please don't be so excited to "talk" to a guy that you just take whatever is handed to you. Set boundaries- whether that's literal or figurative. Personally, I try to be very conscious of the time that I'm on the phone. Everybody has their preference. . . Sometimes when I'm having a really good conversation, I may find myself still talking late into the night but you will NOT hear of me accepting calls at {what I refer to as} booty-call hours. Whether it's the time of day that they call or the way that they speak to you, you need to make your comfort number one. If you're not cool with something, speak up! The guy who deserves you will respect you for having standards!

4) If a guy is genuinely interested in you, he will certainly let you know. How many times have girls dealt with mixed signals and thought, "I think he likes me but I'm just not sure. . ."? If a dude really wants to get to know you, he will make it his business to make it happen. If he's able to contact you (on the phone or whatever) and wants to, he will. And if he's serious about you, he won't play games with your emotions but show you the utmost respect.

5) There's more to being a[n intriguing] lady than just how you look. While your appearance is one of the first things that a guy will notice about you, your personality is important too. It never hurts to smile :-). While he and I were definitely physically attracted to each other, intellect played a big role in our desire to get to know one other. He said that he appreciated my high mental capacity (lol). Let guys know that there's more to you than a pretty face or a nice body.

6) There's hope- decent guys are still around. . . and it's good to know what you want. Although he and I didn't work out, he reminded me that there are still some guys who are honest and respectful. While he embodied some of the qualities that I'd appreciate in a boyfriend or husband, he also made me think about what I would prefer. He said he'd never met a woman like me and I'd never met a guy quite like him. . . but I do believe that there are more out there.

I just want to encourage you, ladies to. . . BE YOURSELF! LOVE YOURSELF! *Guard your heart* but give love a chance. . . You'll learn plenty of lessons through life and some of the greatest [ones] may even come from strangers.

Comments

  1. Well said my friend! I believe people and yes that includes strangers(lol) are strategically placed in our lives for a reason. You ever meet someone and they do or say something and you stop or look back and ask, "God what was the all about?". #Life'sLessons #WeDoItTo #LoveYourPostKara
    -Natasha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! I'm with you (there's a reason that they're placed in our lives).
      Thanks so much for reading & for your comment ;-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Unexpected Temptation

I know. . . It's been time for me to write something new.🙈 However, coming across this video from Jackie Hill Perry to prompted me to actually get this post out. One line pierced my heart. "When you have a gift that involves words, one of the ways the enemy will tempt you is to be silent." Wow!  I hone stly think silence is one of the last things that comes to mind when people think of temptation. According to Oxford Languages, the definition of temptation is  the desire to do something, especially something wrong or unwise. I can hear someone asking, "How can silence be wrong or unwise?"  Oh. . . Hold on for just a minute and it will come together. There are times when our obedience [to speak] may be the key to someone else's blessing . Your words and actions could essentially provide healing for your brother or sister in Christ! In the book of Revelation, we read, "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony..

Let It Go {One Year of Freedom}

"...let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us." - Hebrews 12:1 (KJV)  **If you don't get anything else out of this post, I pray that you realize. . . you really can do all things through Christ - especially when your desire is to please Him! He will strengthen you to walk uprightly before Him.** ---------- Believe me when I say. . . Knowing what you need to do is very  different from actually doing it. Sometimes it is difficult to do what we know is right. That's where I found myself, in November and December of 2022. Let me take you back. . . As a single woman (just in case anybody needs clarification 😉), I was opening myself up to meeting guys and getting to know them when I crossed paths with  Royal . Initially, we seemed to have quite a few things in common: faith, a desire to serve our communities, a strong love for our families, and. . . a way with words. (*insert face

Hydrangea Revelations

 A few months ago, I brought home a hydrangea bush. Now. . . don't be deceived or confused. I do NOT claim to have a green thumb.🤣 However, I'm proud to say that I've managed not to completely kill the entire thing. This plant has honestly brought a couple of lessons or revelations to the forefront of my mind. . . A good while ago, I completely fell off of any sort of watering schedule. One night, I walked into my living room and every leap was drooping. The plant just looked sad! My immediate thought was to throw the whole thing away. Instead, I thought again. . . I decided to water it & see what would happen in the morning. The next day, I walked out and it looked new!  Everything was upright!  Job 14:7-9 came to mind. . . "At least there is hope for a tree: If it is cut down, it will sprout again, and its new shoots will not fail. Its roots may grow old in the ground and its stump die in the soil, yet at the scent of water, it will bud and put forth shoots lik