Skip to main content

Ordinary People & Everyday Blessings (a post of thankfulness)


My friends tell me (all the time) that I need to give myself credit so through this post, I'll attempt to do just that (haha).

A few weeks ago, I was thinking about Mary Mary's song Ordinary People and how I feel like it describes me- especially right now.  

My favorite lines in the song say. . . "I looked in the mirror. I saw average.  You looked down from Heaven.  You saw a gift. Still can't figure out why You love me so... but that's what makes You GOD- I guess I'll never know." 

And of course the chorus. . . "I'm just ordinary people who found extraordinary love.  Sometimes it's hard to believe that God keeps loving me so much."

Reflecting on my life causes me to remain in awe of God's unfailing grace, mercy and love.  To think that I wasn't even expected to survive my mother's pregnancy but now I've been blessed to graduate from Hood College (where I served in some awesome student organizations- yeah SWTT & Gospel Ensemble!) and now I'm trying to start somewhat of a movement of my own. . . WOW!  I'm soooo grateful!

Usually, I'm all about the background/behind-the-scenes work.  I typically don't like to be in the forefront because I like to sit and observe. . . just learn from others.

Well. . . a couple years ago, I decided (with a push from my father) to start L.O.V.E. {Ladies of Virtue. . . Empowered!} in order to give young Christian women (ages 14 & older) an opportunity to share experiences and grow together- in a safe and loving environment.  During our meetings, we address a variety of issues/topics and build each other up through open conversations & studying the Word.  My goal has always been [and continues to be] for the participants to learn more about the Bible and more importantly- apply it to their lives.  I constantly pray for us to become EMPOWERED and more equipped to live sincere and holy lives before God! This life takes more than good intentions!

We all know that we're more likely to accomplish our goals if someone is holding us accountable and providing encouragement.  That's my vision of L.O.V.E.!  By becoming involved, ladies- young and older *wink* realize that they are not alone in their walk with God.  There are other women who are praying for them and dealing with some of the same experiences that they may face.  We are building a support system for one another.

If you would like to get involved with L.O.V.E., fill out the email sign up form here-> L.O.V.E. Email Form!

There's more. . . 

A few months ago, I found out that one of my former classmates started a publication called Women's Elevation Magazine.  I heard that it was geared towards women in business (or starting their own) and really focused on motivating/inspiring women to accomplish their dreams.  Sounds like more empowerment to me!  I was pleasantly surprised when a friend suggested that I (try to) get involved.  Fast forward to the present and now I'm preparing my first submission for the magazine's Spiritual Corner!  I'm sooo excited to be included with this awesome team of women!  You can like the magazine on Facebook and/or follow WE on Twitter!

I say all of this to say-> I didn't expect any of this!  If you had told me years ago that I'd be hosting meetings for women- hoping to help empower and inspire them. . . writing a magazine column and being able to reach so many people through a variety of venues, my response would have been, "Umm. . . yeah. . . no!"  For years, my prayer has been that I would be available for God to use me how He sees fit.  All it takes is a willing heart and an open mind and my friend. . . He can & WILL use you too!

In the mean time, I just want to express my gratitude. I'm thankful to God for my life and for building up my courage to write and share my thoughts!  I feel extremely blessed to have such awesome friends & family members who constantly support me. . . and for the encouragement and guidance that I receive from my mentor ~ who is an amazing writer herself!  I'm thankful for you & the fact that you decided to read my ramblings (haha)!  I pray that this oh-so-random post has inspired you!

Who knows what plans God has in store for you?!  I'm trusting Him with my life & have truly been amazed to see Him at work!  I'm expecting GREAT THINGS for you too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unexpected Temptation

I know. . . It's been time for me to write something new.🙈 However, coming across this video from Jackie Hill Perry to prompted me to actually get this post out. One line pierced my heart. "When you have a gift that involves words, one of the ways the enemy will tempt you is to be silent." Wow!  I hone stly think silence is one of the last things that comes to mind when people think of temptation. According to Oxford Languages, the definition of temptation is  the desire to do something, especially something wrong or unwise. I can hear someone asking, "How can silence be wrong or unwise?"  Oh. . . Hold on for just a minute and it will come together. There are times when our obedience [to speak] may be the key to someone else's blessing . Your words and actions could essentially provide healing for your brother or sister in Christ! In the book of Revelation, we read, "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony..

Let It Go {One Year of Freedom}

"...let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us." - Hebrews 12:1 (KJV)  **If you don't get anything else out of this post, I pray that you realize. . . you really can do all things through Christ - especially when your desire is to please Him! He will strengthen you to walk uprightly before Him.** ---------- Believe me when I say. . . Knowing what you need to do is very  different from actually doing it. Sometimes it is difficult to do what we know is right. That's where I found myself, in November and December of 2022. Let me take you back. . . As a single woman (just in case anybody needs clarification 😉), I was opening myself up to meeting guys and getting to know them when I crossed paths with  Royal . Initially, we seemed to have quite a few things in common: faith, a desire to serve our communities, a strong love for our families, and. . . a way with words. (*insert face

Hydrangea Revelations

 A few months ago, I brought home a hydrangea bush. Now. . . don't be deceived or confused. I do NOT claim to have a green thumb.🤣 However, I'm proud to say that I've managed not to completely kill the entire thing. This plant has honestly brought a couple of lessons or revelations to the forefront of my mind. . . A good while ago, I completely fell off of any sort of watering schedule. One night, I walked into my living room and every leap was drooping. The plant just looked sad! My immediate thought was to throw the whole thing away. Instead, I thought again. . . I decided to water it & see what would happen in the morning. The next day, I walked out and it looked new!  Everything was upright!  Job 14:7-9 came to mind. . . "At least there is hope for a tree: If it is cut down, it will sprout again, and its new shoots will not fail. Its roots may grow old in the ground and its stump die in the soil, yet at the scent of water, it will bud and put forth shoots lik