Skip to main content

Are You Available? (Lessons in Obedience)



Last Friday night, I had the opportunity to speak to an amazing group of women about OBEDIENCE.

Our conversation was transparent, enlightening and encouraging, so I thought I would type up my notes and share them with you. I sincerely hope that you are blessed by what you read.

------

  • Obey- to comply with or follow the commands, restrictions, wishes, or instructions of [someone or something]
  • Definition #2: to submit, yield, or conform in action to (some guiding principle, impulse, one's conscience, etc.)
As Christians, our guiding principle is the Word of God. God is the Word (John 1:1) so we should never discount its power or worth.

Obedience will not always equal comfort or convenience but it is essential in our relationship/walk with God! (I'll talk about that later.)

Scriptures About Obedience

  • John 14:15 (KJV)- If you love me, keep my commandments.
    • (MSG)- If you love me, show it by doing what I've told you.
→ Just as we would obey our natural parents, we need to be willing to follow the directions that come from our Heavenly Father.
→ It's important to note that God's commandments are not limited to the 10 (don't kill, lie, etc.). They include whatever He instructs us to do- through His Word or even specific instructions that He lays on our hearts.
→ Remember that actions speak louder than words. We shouldn't be like Matthew 15:8- claiming to love/honor God if our hearts are actually far from Him. Let's strive to grow closer to Him!

  • 1 Samuel 15:22- ... to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.
→ Your tangible offering serves its own purpose (building the church/kingdom of God) but it will never be an adequate replacement for obedience.
→ Once you receive instructions from God, what will you do with it? It's one thing to have information and another to apply it to your life.


  • Luke 10:27- Love the Lord thy God with all of your heart, soul, strength, and mind.
→ If we truly love God with our entire being, we will keep His commandments/do what He says.
→ As we devote those things (heart, mind- even body) to God, we shouldn't be as willing to give people access to them- especially when they probably don't deserve it.

Tips for Becoming (More) Obedient to God

  1. We must Make Room (also the name of Jonathan McReynolds' new album- check it out!) for God in our lives by spending time in the Word, in prayer. . . even in fellowship with like-minded people so that we'll get better at recognizing His voice.
  2. As I mentioned earlier. . . obedience won't always add up to comfort or convenience but as we grow in our love for God, our desire to please/obey Him will overpower everything else (doubt, procrastination, etc.). We have to get to the place where we're striving to obey God- whatever that looks like.
  3. Don't ask questions. . . just obey! We have to remember that God doesn't have to answer to us. There's a reason why He is giving us instructions.
  4. Although God will honor our obedience, we should simply obey out of love & sincerity- not looking for anything in return!
  5. Our obedience is not just about us! Someone is probably depending on us to do whatever God is requiring of us.
Number 5 really hits home for me. A few months ago, I was driving to work when I felt God lead me to send a specific amount of money to a (newer) friend of mine. In my over-analytical nature, I started questioning various aspects of the situation. "Will she actually get it?" "Will she understand why I'm doing this?" "Do I need to send more?" "Should I even send this when I have my own bills/expenses?"

That only lasted for about 30 seconds (lol). I came up with a plan- bought a greeting card, wrote a short/sweet note, and mailed the money inside of it (anonymously). I was nervous yet relieved because I knew I was being obedient.

A couple of weeks later, I received a birthday present from one of my god-mothers. . . Believe it or not- it was the exact amount of money that I'd sent to my friend! I can't tell you how encouraging that was. It was as if God was saying, "Thank you for your obedience. Never doubt that I am with you." I felt reassured because I was certain that I'd heard/felt Him and I was grateful that I followed His instructions.

It gets better. . .

I ran into this friend and communicated with her- every now and then (after sending the card) but I didn't feel like the time was right to confirm that she'd received it. About 5 or 6 months after I mailed the card, we were talking (about our relationships with God and life in general) and I finally felt peace about confirming that she'd received the card.
Me: I know this is random but did you happen to receive a card, a few months ago?
Her: Was that you?! Did you send it?!
We laughed and thanked God because she had been trying to track down the sender and I just wanted to make sure that it got to her. As we talked, I found out that she received it- right when she needed it!

I truly was blown away!

God does all things well. We just have to have a heart and mind to obey Him. We will certainly be blessed for our obedience but it's amazing to think of the possible ripple effect- the number of people who will also benefit from our choice to be faithful servants and children of God.

Will you make yourself available to Him?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unexpected Temptation

I know. . . It's been time for me to write something new.🙈 However, coming across this video from Jackie Hill Perry to prompted me to actually get this post out. One line pierced my heart. "When you have a gift that involves words, one of the ways the enemy will tempt you is to be silent." Wow!  I hone stly think silence is one of the last things that comes to mind when people think of temptation. According to Oxford Languages, the definition of temptation is  the desire to do something, especially something wrong or unwise. I can hear someone asking, "How can silence be wrong or unwise?"  Oh. . . Hold on for just a minute and it will come together. There are times when our obedience [to speak] may be the key to someone else's blessing . Your words and actions could essentially provide healing for your brother or sister in Christ! In the book of Revelation, we read, "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony..

Let It Go {One Year of Freedom}

"...let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us." - Hebrews 12:1 (KJV)  **If you don't get anything else out of this post, I pray that you realize. . . you really can do all things through Christ - especially when your desire is to please Him! He will strengthen you to walk uprightly before Him.** ---------- Believe me when I say. . . Knowing what you need to do is very  different from actually doing it. Sometimes it is difficult to do what we know is right. That's where I found myself, in November and December of 2022. Let me take you back. . . As a single woman (just in case anybody needs clarification 😉), I was opening myself up to meeting guys and getting to know them when I crossed paths with  Royal . Initially, we seemed to have quite a few things in common: faith, a desire to serve our communities, a strong love for our families, and. . . a way with words. (*insert face

Hydrangea Revelations

 A few months ago, I brought home a hydrangea bush. Now. . . don't be deceived or confused. I do NOT claim to have a green thumb.🤣 However, I'm proud to say that I've managed not to completely kill the entire thing. This plant has honestly brought a couple of lessons or revelations to the forefront of my mind. . . A good while ago, I completely fell off of any sort of watering schedule. One night, I walked into my living room and every leap was drooping. The plant just looked sad! My immediate thought was to throw the whole thing away. Instead, I thought again. . . I decided to water it & see what would happen in the morning. The next day, I walked out and it looked new!  Everything was upright!  Job 14:7-9 came to mind. . . "At least there is hope for a tree: If it is cut down, it will sprout again, and its new shoots will not fail. Its roots may grow old in the ground and its stump die in the soil, yet at the scent of water, it will bud and put forth shoots lik