Skip to main content

Don't Despise Your Off-Season


". . . God is always working on our behalf, even when we fail to see it. He has a perfect plan, and His timing is perfect. . . Don't despise your off-season. Keep investing in your call, your gift, your talent, your local church, and the people God has entrusted to your care. It is during this time that God is usually setting you up for what is to come." 
from Tailor Made by Alex Seeley

For a while, I've been trying to articulate this particular stage/time in my life & re-reading those words felt like a true lightbulb moment. "This is it! This is how I'm feeling!" 

A couple of weeks ago, I was scrolling through some of my older Instagram posts when I came across my favorite quotes from this amazing book, Tailor Made: Discover the Secret to Who God Made You to Be. 

Backstory:
Once I truly came to terms with the fact that God was leading me to move to Texas, I decided to focus on self-discovery/personal development. I've always loved to read but I decided to find books that would cause me to dig deeper within myself and even offer lessons/ideas that I could apply to my life. 

After seeing Tailor Made pop up on various social media pages, I decided to go ahead and order it. I remember wondering why there was a dragonfly on the front cover and soon learned that it was a symbol of change. An online explanation read, "The dragonfly, in almost every part of the world symbolizes change and change in the perspective of self realization; and the kind of change that has its source in mental and emotional maturity and the understanding of the deeper meaning of life." Pretty deep, huh?

I absolutely related to this because I felt like I needed to do whatever I could, in order to become my best self/as I prepared for this move. I honestly loved reading the book and posted lots of quotes from it. . .

Present Thoughts:
Maybe I was naive but I figured that since I was obeying God [and moving], things would come together fairly quickly. I would find a full-time job and decent living arrangements with ease. . . 

In reality, that wasn't the case. I was steadily applying for positions. I registered with staffing companies, went to lots of interviews, etc. but for whatever reason, it felt like things just weren't happening.

A few weeks ago, I began feeling very discouraged and frustrated. As a friend asked me how I was doing, I no longer could hold it in and simply burst into tears. I almost felt like God was forgetting about me. Fortunately, my mother and friends reminded me that in situations like this, God's power becomes even more evident. He does things; performs miracles that only He can do!

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I am not lazy. I work hard and try to find ways in which I can be a blessing to others. I felt like I needed to be doing something.

This is why I related to the off-season concept. 
Off-season (noun) a time of suspended or reduced activity, especially when an athlete is not in training or competition.

Everything about that quote (at the beginning of this post) rang and continues to ring true for me. It's all a matter of perception. 

When I realized that it would take longer for me to find a full-time job, I decided to apply for somewhat random part-time gigs. I quickly got a position at a restaurant and fortunately, my boss is understanding and supportive of the fact that I am still looking for full-time work. I literally applied for this job on a Thursday and started working-> the following Tuesday.

While this isn't necessarily my dream job, I still am working hard. I'm getting there early, doing my job, and trying to provide excellent service to our guests. And I'm meeting cool people along the way. It's a stepping stone and I know that God still has a plan. Everything will come together when and how it's supposed to. 

In the meantime, I've found different ways to invest my time and energy. I LOVE my church and soon after moving, I joined the Praise Team. While I may not be able to give as much as I'd like, I'm faithfully giving my tithes and offering.

With this free time, I've also been able to think about some of my personal goals and projects. I've joined a creative community that has helped me brainstorm ways to prepare for the next phases of those things- like my women's organization {Ladies of Virtue. . . Empowered! aka L.O.V.E.}. I've also begun recognizing gifts and talents that I had been disregarding in the past. You probably have some of those too--> things that you do well but you don't really think anything of. 

Up until a few weeks ago, I never saw a particular thing that came fairly easily to me as a potential stream of income. However, when three different people contacted me *within days of each other* about utilizing my services (and a couple of them asked about my prices), I knew that I needed to seriously consider that as a new opportunity.

Don't get me wrong. I understand that being busy is not the same as being productive. [I intend to focus on the latter.] I'm realizing that everything in my life truly has been connected. Random experiences and lessons from the past have prepared me for what I am currently dealing with and even what I will walk into, in the future. I'm grateful that I've been intentional about learning and growing.

I know I still have a lot of work to do- as far as becoming my best self but I've been blessed to see progress, already. What I originally felt was a famine or dry season has actually been a time of planting, stretching, and growing for me. 

I was reminded that God hasn't forgotten or abandoned me. In the vein of Amanda Cook/Bethel Music, He doesn't miss a thing.

A few of my friends told me that they felt like I would bloom or blossom after making this move and I truly believe that as well. I'm feeding myself with things that will promote my natural and spiritual growth (check out the list below). And I'm excited to see everything that this off-season has been preparing me for. 

I've said all of that to simply reiterate Alex Seeley's words. "Don't despise your off-season." View it as an opportunity to learn and grow. . . in preparation for whatever God has planned for you.

You may also want to check out:
**Redefining Wealth (podcast) by Patrice Washington
Editor-in-Chic by Mikki Taylor
Atomic Habits by James Clear
Sanctuary; Creating a Blessed Place to Live & Love by Pamela J. Bailey

**This podcast is amazing and a lot of Patrice's guests have written great books as well. Thank me later.😉

You Don't Miss A Thing
Bethel Music
*I don't own the rights to this music

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unexpected Temptation

I know. . . It's been time for me to write something new.🙈 However, coming across this video from Jackie Hill Perry to prompted me to actually get this post out. One line pierced my heart. "When you have a gift that involves words, one of the ways the enemy will tempt you is to be silent." Wow!  I hone stly think silence is one of the last things that comes to mind when people think of temptation. According to Oxford Languages, the definition of temptation is  the desire to do something, especially something wrong or unwise. I can hear someone asking, "How can silence be wrong or unwise?"  Oh. . . Hold on for just a minute and it will come together. There are times when our obedience [to speak] may be the key to someone else's blessing . Your words and actions could essentially provide healing for your brother or sister in Christ! In the book of Revelation, we read, "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony..

Let It Go {One Year of Freedom}

"...let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us." - Hebrews 12:1 (KJV)  **If you don't get anything else out of this post, I pray that you realize. . . you really can do all things through Christ - especially when your desire is to please Him! He will strengthen you to walk uprightly before Him.** ---------- Believe me when I say. . . Knowing what you need to do is very  different from actually doing it. Sometimes it is difficult to do what we know is right. That's where I found myself, in November and December of 2022. Let me take you back. . . As a single woman (just in case anybody needs clarification 😉), I was opening myself up to meeting guys and getting to know them when I crossed paths with  Royal . Initially, we seemed to have quite a few things in common: faith, a desire to serve our communities, a strong love for our families, and. . . a way with words. (*insert face

Hydrangea Revelations

 A few months ago, I brought home a hydrangea bush. Now. . . don't be deceived or confused. I do NOT claim to have a green thumb.🤣 However, I'm proud to say that I've managed not to completely kill the entire thing. This plant has honestly brought a couple of lessons or revelations to the forefront of my mind. . . A good while ago, I completely fell off of any sort of watering schedule. One night, I walked into my living room and every leap was drooping. The plant just looked sad! My immediate thought was to throw the whole thing away. Instead, I thought again. . . I decided to water it & see what would happen in the morning. The next day, I walked out and it looked new!  Everything was upright!  Job 14:7-9 came to mind. . . "At least there is hope for a tree: If it is cut down, it will sprout again, and its new shoots will not fail. Its roots may grow old in the ground and its stump die in the soil, yet at the scent of water, it will bud and put forth shoots lik