Skip to main content

When You Give Unto the Lord. . . Part 2 (Giving When It Doesn't Make Sense)

Anyone who actually knows me will tell you that I am a planner. While there are moments when I do appreciate spontaneity. . . for the most part, I like knowing exactly what to expect like where I'm going, what I'm doing, and how I'm executing a task.

So I know some people were (or will be) shocked to learn that on January 1, 2019, I moved from Maryland to Texas without an elaborate plan.

While I kept hearing, "Kara, you're so brave! This is amazing. . ." and similar things, I honestly was trying my best not to freak out😬.

This installment of When You Give Unto the Lord is about releasing control and simply surrendering to His Will. . . even if it doesn't seem to make sense (to you or anyone else).

A piece of the backstory:
God actually began dealing with me about moving to Texas in July of 2017. At that moment, I wasn't sure about any of the details (like how and when it would happen). I wrestled within myself (for a few weeks) and only spoke to a couple people about it because I was concerned that I was just imagining things. I began praying for insight and clarity and sure enough, the instructions I originally heard were continually confirmed.

As time went on, I tried to establish a timeline as well as a course of action. Around September of 2018, I thought I had maybe 75% of the plan figured out when suddenly, some pieces of the puzzle were rearranged and no longer fit.

I felt very discouraged & confused. I knew that in order to obey God, I needed to (literally) make the move but with the turn of events, I truly had no idea how I was going to "make things happen" or what I was going to do, once I got to Texas.

Unexpected encouragement
In October, my mother had the opportunity to participate in a Masterclass Workshop & Concert with Donald Lawrence. I had known about the event for months but didn't decide to attend the concert until the last minute. It was amazing to hear some of my favorite songs being performed- live and having the opportunity to hear some of the stories behind the writing process made me appreciate them even more!

The day after the concert, my mom showed me this video from one of the choir's rehearsals. It really blessed me! And after watching it, she encouraged me to reconfigure my plan.

Not Making Sense, Making Faith
Don't know how I'm gonna get there.
But I walk by faith. 
Don't know how I'm gonna live there.
But the just shall live by faith. 
Can't even see the purpose that's waiting there.
But I trust the Author of my faith.
And when people ask how I'm gonna do. . . when I do what God told me to. . .
For the rest of my life. . .
 I'm not making sense.
I'm making faith.

A few weeks later, I turned in my letter of resignation & broke the news to my work family that after eight years, I would be leaving. (Telling the students was definitely the hardest part of the process.)

During my last few weeks in Maryland, I was blessed to receive words of encouragement, gift cards, and meaningful presents from friends, family members, and even some strangers who simply heard about what was going on.

While I was dealing with a range of emotions, I was ultimately confident that God would bless me because of my desire to obey Him. I gave Him (my sense of) control and wholeheartedly believed that He would make ways and open doors for me.

The Leap of Faith
On January 1, 2019, I flew from BWI to DFW with 1 large suitcase, 1 duffle bag, and a backpack- partially filled up with lots of snacks. I tried to be strategic as I was packing so that I wouldn't end up spending more money than necessary.

For my first month in Texas, I rented an Airbnb. My room was super comfortable & I had the most loving and gracious hosts! They treated me like I was their granddaughter. We bonded quickly and they offered me great advice for restaurants & my job search. (We still keep in touch.)

My church family kept (and actually keep) checking in to see if I need anything and while I'm good for saying, "I'm fine. . ." I'm working on being willing to ask for and graciously accept support- especially when I know that people genuinely want to help.😇

Another Test(imony)
I was scheduled to check out of the Airbnb on January 30th and a few days before that date, I still didn't know what I wanted my next step to be. No substantial job offers had come through yet so I didn't want to just rush and try to find a place to rent (as far as my living arrangements were concerned). 

On the morning of January 28th, I could not sleep in for anything! I had woken up early and all of my attempts to get more rest seemed to fail. I decided to get online and do some more research on available rooms. I had registered on a website for people looking for rooms, roommates, and so on, so I went ahead and updated my profile.

While I was making those changes, one of my mentors/friends called me with an unbelievable proposal. She invited me to work (like actually get paid- lol) and stay with her for a couple of months (rent-free!). I was shocked but grateful! (And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear. - Isaiah 65:24)

That afternoon, I made a trip to Target and picked up an air mattress, bed set, and another suitcase to make it easier to transport the new items! The next evening, I headed over to her place and the day after that, I started my temporary work assignment.

This was yet ANOTHER reminder that when we give unto the Lord & obey Him, we actually make room for Him to bless us.

This whole experience continues to stretch and increase my faith! If I'm totally honest, His Plan has been much better than mine!

And so, I just want to encourage you. . . whatever you feel led to do--> pray for direction and take action! Give everything to the Lord- any fears/concerns, desires, etc. and allow Him to have His Way in your life. He's already promised to be with you!

What will you choose to give unto the Lord?

Bonus:
To keep me motivated while I prepared for the move, I made a playlist of encouraging songs. . . Here's a snippet of it. Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Beautifully written with a transparent testimony that inspires others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This blessed, encouraged, and inspired me. Keep letting God use you!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for reading & for the encouragement, Mom!💛

      Delete
    3. The word reminds us that we WALK by FAITH not by sight. Keep walking.
      G.L.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Unexpected Temptation

I know. . . It's been time for me to write something new.🙈 However, coming across this video from Jackie Hill Perry to prompted me to actually get this post out. One line pierced my heart. "When you have a gift that involves words, one of the ways the enemy will tempt you is to be silent." Wow!  I hone stly think silence is one of the last things that comes to mind when people think of temptation. According to Oxford Languages, the definition of temptation is  the desire to do something, especially something wrong or unwise. I can hear someone asking, "How can silence be wrong or unwise?"  Oh. . . Hold on for just a minute and it will come together. There are times when our obedience [to speak] may be the key to someone else's blessing . Your words and actions could essentially provide healing for your brother or sister in Christ! In the book of Revelation, we read, "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony..

Let It Go {One Year of Freedom}

"...let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us." - Hebrews 12:1 (KJV)  **If you don't get anything else out of this post, I pray that you realize. . . you really can do all things through Christ - especially when your desire is to please Him! He will strengthen you to walk uprightly before Him.** ---------- Believe me when I say. . . Knowing what you need to do is very  different from actually doing it. Sometimes it is difficult to do what we know is right. That's where I found myself, in November and December of 2022. Let me take you back. . . As a single woman (just in case anybody needs clarification 😉), I was opening myself up to meeting guys and getting to know them when I crossed paths with  Royal . Initially, we seemed to have quite a few things in common: faith, a desire to serve our communities, a strong love for our families, and. . . a way with words. (*insert face

Hydrangea Revelations

 A few months ago, I brought home a hydrangea bush. Now. . . don't be deceived or confused. I do NOT claim to have a green thumb.🤣 However, I'm proud to say that I've managed not to completely kill the entire thing. This plant has honestly brought a couple of lessons or revelations to the forefront of my mind. . . A good while ago, I completely fell off of any sort of watering schedule. One night, I walked into my living room and every leap was drooping. The plant just looked sad! My immediate thought was to throw the whole thing away. Instead, I thought again. . . I decided to water it & see what would happen in the morning. The next day, I walked out and it looked new!  Everything was upright!  Job 14:7-9 came to mind. . . "At least there is hope for a tree: If it is cut down, it will sprout again, and its new shoots will not fail. Its roots may grow old in the ground and its stump die in the soil, yet at the scent of water, it will bud and put forth shoots lik