Skip to main content

Choosing Consistency

This weekend, I had a couple of seemingly insignificant experiences that actually really made me think. . .

On Friday, I was driving to work (at the speed limit) when it appeared that everyone and their mother was passing me and speeding down the highway. For a minute, I was really bothered and considered picking up my speed but I changed my mind.

It's funny. I thought about parents who tell their children, "Just because 'everybody else' may be doing something, that doesn't make it right." That is the absolute truth!

As a young person- especially as a young Christian, it can be discouraging to feel like other people are passing you or leaving you in the dust. It may seem like they're progressing faster than you. (Things aren't always what they seem.)

Be encouraged!

In my case, plenty of people were driving faster than me and maybe they reached their destinations before me but that doesn't mean that they went about things the right way. Like I told the ladies at the most recent LOVE Outlet, "Doing the most does not mean that you're doing the best!"

Our main priority should be pleasing God/fulfilling His Will for our lives (in His timing). . .

. . .which brings me to my 2nd random observation.

As much as I appreciate the positive aspects of social media, its platforms are a constant reminder that many people's words and actions simply do not match or line up!

I was reminded that one's decision to follow Jesus truly must be a personal choice. One so significant that it is not swayed by peers or even family members. If we claim to live according to the Word, we need to be consistent.

Consistent (adj.)- unchanging in nature, standard, or effect over time.

Don't get me wrong. . . I believe that there is always room for positive change/improvement but if your "changes" cause you to disregard the Word and lower your standards, I think some re-evaluation needs to take place.

I am convinced that some of us do not recognize the fact that we may be people's first impressions of a Christian. What does that look like, in your life? I'm not saying that we need to carry around "I Love Jesus" signs or speak in tongues at the drop of a hat but is love the foundation of your actions? Can people notice a difference when they deal with you versus someone who doesn't proclaim to know or love Jesus?

Or are you trying to be exactly like the world???

As I mentioned earlier, sometimes people feel like they're being left out or left behind. The trouble comes when they take it upon themselves to catch up. That may look differently for specific people (from music choices and apparel to hobbies, etc.).

Here's the thing. Jesus never told us to keep up with everyone else. He told us to draw near/grow closer to Him (James 4:8). He hasn't called us to live a boring life. . . but He is not constantly extending grace and mercy so that we can just be reckless, either.

We've been instructed to put a difference between holy and unholy; unclean and clean (Leviticus 10:10).

And as far as feeling like people are reaching their destinations before you. . . you really don't have time to even dwell on that. Realizing that God has created YOU for a purpose should propel you into walking in it and fulfilling God's Will for your life.

As you consistently seek and obey Him, allow God to work in/through You. Focus on progress- not speed! One of my favorite scriptures (Ephesians 3:20) tells us that God is able to do even more than we could think, ask, or imagine- according to the power (of the Holy Ghost) that works within us!

One day, you may look up and realize that you've surpassed your counterparts. Whether or not that's the case, remain humble. You don't want to be the reason why people turn away from God/the church, do you?

I just want to encourage you. . . Rather than focusing on those around you, concentrate on doing all that you can to please Jesus. Make it a point to spend time with Him- in prayer, in the Word, and even as you fellowship with other believers. Feed your spirit and be CONSISTENT in your walk with Him!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unexpected Temptation

I know. . . It's been time for me to write something new.🙈 However, coming across this video from Jackie Hill Perry to prompted me to actually get this post out. One line pierced my heart. "When you have a gift that involves words, one of the ways the enemy will tempt you is to be silent." Wow!  I hone stly think silence is one of the last things that comes to mind when people think of temptation. According to Oxford Languages, the definition of temptation is  the desire to do something, especially something wrong or unwise. I can hear someone asking, "How can silence be wrong or unwise?"  Oh. . . Hold on for just a minute and it will come together. There are times when our obedience [to speak] may be the key to someone else's blessing . Your words and actions could essentially provide healing for your brother or sister in Christ! In the book of Revelation, we read, "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony..

Let It Go {One Year of Freedom}

"...let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us." - Hebrews 12:1 (KJV)  **If you don't get anything else out of this post, I pray that you realize. . . you really can do all things through Christ - especially when your desire is to please Him! He will strengthen you to walk uprightly before Him.** ---------- Believe me when I say. . . Knowing what you need to do is very  different from actually doing it. Sometimes it is difficult to do what we know is right. That's where I found myself, in November and December of 2022. Let me take you back. . . As a single woman (just in case anybody needs clarification 😉), I was opening myself up to meeting guys and getting to know them when I crossed paths with  Royal . Initially, we seemed to have quite a few things in common: faith, a desire to serve our communities, a strong love for our families, and. . . a way with words. (*insert face

Hydrangea Revelations

 A few months ago, I brought home a hydrangea bush. Now. . . don't be deceived or confused. I do NOT claim to have a green thumb.🤣 However, I'm proud to say that I've managed not to completely kill the entire thing. This plant has honestly brought a couple of lessons or revelations to the forefront of my mind. . . A good while ago, I completely fell off of any sort of watering schedule. One night, I walked into my living room and every leap was drooping. The plant just looked sad! My immediate thought was to throw the whole thing away. Instead, I thought again. . . I decided to water it & see what would happen in the morning. The next day, I walked out and it looked new!  Everything was upright!  Job 14:7-9 came to mind. . . "At least there is hope for a tree: If it is cut down, it will sprout again, and its new shoots will not fail. Its roots may grow old in the ground and its stump die in the soil, yet at the scent of water, it will bud and put forth shoots lik